Hamdok will lead an independent technocratic Cabinet, the officials said. They said the U.N., the U.S. and others played âcrucial rolesâ in crafting the agreement.
The coup, more than two years after a popular uprising forced the removal of longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir and his Islamist government, has drawn international criticism. The United States, its allies and the United Nations have condemned the use of excessive force against protesters.
Sudanese have been taking to the streets in masses since last monthâs military takeover, which upended the countryâs fragile transition to democracy. The agreement comes just days after doctors said at least 15 people were killed by live fire during anti-coup demonstrations.
The newly appointed sovereign council would meet later Sunday before announcing the deal, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the deal before the official announcement.
A national initiative formed after the coup that includes political parties and public figures said in a statement that Hamdok would be reinstated and will form a technocratic Cabinet. It said the deal would be signed later Sunday along with a political declaration. It did not elaborate.
Mohmmed Youssef al-Mustafa, a spokesman for the Sudanese Professionalsâ Association, said there is a deal but the SPA would comment when it is announced officially.